With summer just around the corner, most of us are already thinking ahead about what sandals to add to our shoe collection and how they will match our wardrobe. While there is a lot to consider in terms of style, whether it be color and upper design, there is even more to consider when it comes to comfort and how well they fit your feet. Unfortunately, most conventional brands don’t focus on comfort features, which makes finding good fitting sandals even harder.
That’s why we’ve taken the time to do some research (so you don’t have to!) and list our picks for the best 4 orthopedic sandals for women this year. The sandal styles we picked are cute and can pretty much pair with any outfit, but most importantly, they will keep your feet comfortable and protected from foot and back problems that can occur during increased outdoor activities in the summer months.
HOW SHOULD I CHOOSE THE BEST ORTHOPEDIC SANDALS FOR WOMEN?
When you start shopping for a new pair of orthopedic sandals for women, it’s important to know what features will make all the difference.
● What type of footbed do they have? Most shoe companies only include in their shoes a simple and relatively flat footbed that does not even classify as an insole. Orthotic insoles are completely different and are designed to help alleviate pain associated with diabetes, plantar fasciitis, bursitis, arthritis, flat feet and other common foot conditions. With no exception, all women’s orthotic sandals should also have these orthotic insoles built in.
● Is there a break-in period? Most shoes that are not orthopedic shoes or are not designed with advanced comfort features are likely to have a break-in period until your feet adjust to them. Make sure you keep this in mind if you are planning on wearing new sandals out and about in the first few weeks. However, if you are purchasing a pair of orthopedic or orthotic sandals, a break-in period will not be necessary and you can start wearing the sandals from day one.
● What width are the sandals? Since most sandals are only manufactured in one width, usually medium, many of us unfortunately end up wearing something that is too narrow for our feet. This is not only uncomfortable but can lead to many painful foot problems over the long run. If you don’t know what width to purchase, you can get measured in a full-service comfort shoe store that usually offers this service. For the growing number of people purchasing online, many online retailers share a sizing chart with measurements as well as include fit information for specific footwear.
● Adjustability features? Straps, laces and elasticized cords are extremely important if you want to customize the fit to your specific foot type. The more adjustable options a sandal has, the more comfortable your feet will be.
● Closed-toe or open-toe? Decide whether you want closed or open-toed sandals. Open-toed sandals will have more breathability and will be more comfortable in extra hot conditions. However, closed toe sandals are a great option for those who need added protection for sensitive feet or might not feel comfortable showing their toes and feet. Closed toe sandals are also good for more rugged and adventurous activities.
● Are they waterproof or slip-resistant? These features are extras but can be important depending on the type of activity you will be doing.
WHY ARE MY CURRENT SANDALS SO UNCOMFORTABLE?
Most footwear companies just don’t focus on advanced quality features so their sandals may feel thin, flat, and uncomfortable. When the biomechanics of the human body Is not taken into consideration in the design of shoes and sandals, they will lack adequate support and will start hurting your feet over time. Sandals should include orthotic insoles, a cushioning footbed, a sturdy sole, made from durable and breathable upper materials and be available in wide widths to accommodate different foot types. If you have sensitive feet or a specific foot conditions such as diabetes or arthritis, other features will be essential to keep your feet healthy. Seam free linings, extra depth, and padded interiors are a few examples.
A good pair of shoes and sandals would mean that that you don’t even realize they are on your feet!
OUR PICKS FOR THE 4 BEST WOMEN’S ORTHOPEDIC SANDALS
1. Verona Pewter Women’s Sandals
Your feet will thank you when you wear the Verona sandals. This popular closed-toe sandal is perfect for women looking for some extra support and comfort from their summer shoes, without exposing their feet and toes.
A multi-layer construction includes a premium orthotic insole designed to reduce overpronation, plantar fasciitis and other common foot pain. They support the arch, align the feet and body, and keep the feet in a neutral position. Their unique design incorporates air and foam cushioning pockets that disperse shock forces during high impact activities and provide heel pain relief making them the best women’s sandals for walking.
The footbed top cover is constructed with an anti-microbial fabric that wicks away moisture and keeps feet clean and dry. Having an extra depth, wide last and round, tall toe box promotes a pressure free environment and maximum toe movement, making them the best shoes for bunions, hammer toes and swollen feet.
The sleek and airy upper design consists of mesh fabric to promote breathability, a bungee cord to tighten and loosen the fit around the instep and a fully functioning heel strap that can be adjusted to your particular heel width so you never experience slippage.
A soft fabric interior, padded with foam eliminates pressure points and friction against skin, offering superior comfort and protection for conditions that need extra care such as diabetes, neuropathy, and arthritis.
The Verona sandals feature ergonomic soles with a mild rocker design that help propel the foot forward, facilitate foot motion and enhance comfort from heel to toe.
Shop for the Verona Pewter Women’s Sandals.
2. Malibu Pewter Women’s Sandals
These quarter strap sandals are perfect if you’re looking for a comfortable, supportive sandal with an extra airy design. The recently redesigned outsole is now slip-resistant allowing you to feel confident in any water summer activity you engage in!
These open-toed sandals have ample adjustability with three straps across different areas of the foot:
The forefoot strap incorporates stretch and can accommodate bunions and hammer toes by gently stretching and conforming to the unique foot shape without applying further pressure.
The middle strap is an innovative two-way strap system that enables you to open and close the sandal from either the inside or outside of the shoe. This creates a wide opening for easy on/off wear. It is also convenient for those who have trouble bending down to reach the outside of the shoe. And of course, the strap allows you to adjust the fit according to your particular instep. Narrow feet and feet with low insteps can shorten the straps even more by replacing them with the extra shorter tabs included.
The heel strap is cushioned, soft and stretchable allowing you to adjust the grip around the heel to prevent slippage, perfect for feet with a wide forefoot and narrow heel. On the flip side, the strap can be loosened to accommodate AFOs and braces that require more space, making them the best sandals for AFOs and braces.
The Malibu style features a removable orthotic insole designed to alleviate heel pain and plantar fasciitis, while supporting the arch and the ball-of-the-foot. Alternatively, if you have a custom orthotic, you can simply remove the included orthotic insole and replace it with your own. There is plenty of space to accommodate it since it has a unique wide shape and extra depth.
For those who need additional arch support, an Arch Booster is included and can be placed under the orthotic insole to further enhance support.
Need a wide width? No problem! The Malibu sandals are available in wide and extra wide widths too.
Shop for the Malibu Pewter Women’s Sandals.
3. Naples Blue Orthotic Sandals
These sporty sandals are designed to support the foot on long walks, absorbing shock forces and decreasing stress and strain on your body so you can continue to be active pain free.
Innovatively designed with a removable anatomical orthotic insole, they will support your arch, cradle your heel and provide the ultimate cushioning from heel to toe. The Naples will also correct your gait and prevent your foot from rolling inwards when you walk, making them the best sandals for those who struggle with overpronation.
Slip into cloud like comfort with the Naples sandals. A completely seam free interior offers gentle contact against the skin and eliminates rubbing and blisters. Every part of this sandal features thick interior padding that gently protects sensitive feet and is an optimal choice for neuropathy, diabetes and arthritis. The bungee cord and two-way strap system offer a customized fit which accommodates all types of feet, including swollen feet, narrow feet. and feet with different insteps. A closed back and heel counter provide extra coverage, prevent heel slippage and are perfect for those with a narrow heel.
Naples is available in a soft blue or grey to easily match with a range of outfits. Shop for the Naples Blue Orthotic Sandals.
4. Camille Black 2” Heel Sandals
Say goodbye to foot pain with Camille heels! Now you can enjoy your night out without discomfort. What makes them good for your feet is the biomedical design and built-in orthotic insole with anatomical arch support, covered with a soft, cushioning foam providing extraordinary comfort. The unique ergonomic design helps alleviate heel pain and plantar fasciitis, reduce overpronation, improve stability and relieve ball-of-foot pain. The interior lining is extremely soft and feels gentle against the skin.
Thanks to its distinctive shape and stretchable design, the Camille sandal accommodates feet with a wide forefoot, and fits well over bunions and hammer toes. The front part is stretchable and conforms to the contours of your foot. It also includes a strap that allows you to further adjust the fit.
Camille features an adjustable heel strap which is also stretchable allowing it to fit many different foot types comfortably and preventing heel slippage.
The innovative two-way strap system in the middle makes it easy for you to slide into them. And if you have a higher or lower instep and need to shorten or lengthen the strap, you can tailor it to your specific needs by using the included extra tabs.
Elegantly designed with patent black textured leather uppers, they provide a polished look for any occasion. Finally, wearing heels can feel like your favorite pair of sneakers!
Shop for the Camille Black 2” Heel Sandals.