OrthoFeet requires all customers to have a sales-tax exempt Certificate on file in order to not be charge sales tax on all orders.
How to Apply for a Sales Tax-Exempt Certificate
- You must apply to your state revenue department for a sales tax
- First, go to your state’s tax department website. When you get to this site, you may have to do some searching to find the name used in this state for the sales tax
Look for the types of products and services that might qualify for a sales tax certificate. Not all products are eligible in all states.
- To complete the form, you will be asked about your business and about the reason for the exemption. Finally, you are asked to check the reason for the exemption from the list of allowable reasons.
Tax-Exempt Status Information:
General Sales Tax Information
- Sales tax is a destination tax in the United States. The ship-to-state on the order determines the sales tax rate.
- Please note that business licenses or business permits are not considered acceptable documentation to exempt purchases from sales tax.
Types of Sales Tax Certificates
There are two general types of sales tax certificates:
- Reseller certificate. These are the type in which, as described above, the products are purchased wholesale and resold at retail. In some cases, a business buys products that are used in a product being sold. Building contractors are a common example; they buy building materials used in construction. The purchase of these materials might qualify for a reseller’s permit.
- Exemption certificate. A sales tax exemption certificate is for an exemption from sales tax for a specific type of product. For example, some states exempt the purchase of computers for resale. States vary in the products and services that may be considered exempt from sales tax. Some states, like California, distinguish between reseller certificates and exemption certificates.